Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library is hiring for the Digital Skills for Youth Program. The DS4Y program is a national initiative coordinated by Industry Canada through the Government of Canada’s Youth Employment Strategy overseen by Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.
The successful applicant must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the internship.
- Have recently (within two years prior to the start of their internship) completed postsecondary studies. Graduates of degree or diploma programs from universities, colleges, post-secondary schools of technology, postsecondary institutes and CEGEP. These may be either publicly or privately funded institutions.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who had been granted refugee status.
- Not in receipt of Employment Insurance during their internship.
- Self-assess as underemployed, meaning they are employed below their level of education and/or hold part-time employments.
- Has not previously participated in a YES Career Focus internship
- Candidates must express an active interest in emergent technologies
- Awareness of current library trends particularly those involving the maker movement
The IT/Makerspace Intern's major responsibilities will be:
Website & Social Media
Under the supervision of the IT Coordinator, assists with:
- Creating, maintaining and developing the Library's website
- Updating website content with current library programs, events and promotional materials
- Social media development and maintenance
- Provides one-on-one technology and makerspace tutoring to library customers and staff ondemand and during regularly scheduled drop-in sessions
- Assists programming staff with makerspace themed activities and instruction
- Welcomes customers entering the library and proactively serves them at point of need
- Delivers front line services by assisting customers with catalogue searches, program and library card registration, materials circulation, customer account issues and library technology
- Evaluates emerging technologies and provides recommendations on implementations and solutions
- Maintains and troubleshoots various library software applications
- Installs, maintains and support of audio-visual equipment, including TV & DVD
- Maintains Makerspace equipment, including 3D Printer, Carvey, Cricut & VHS to DVD conversion
Rate of pay: $23/hour, 35 hours a week for approximately 6 months (900 hours total) including evening and weekend shifts.
Please submit your cover letter and resume by Thursday 13th December @ 9pm to email@example.com
Applicant must be able to start position before January 4th, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.