Library Service Associate
Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library is accepting applications for a part-time temporary Library Service Associate.
Major responsibilities include:
• Provide excellent customer service, proactive reference, reader’s advisory, and circulation service for customers of all ages.
• Conduct skilled reference interviews to determine customer needs.
• Direct customers to print, electronic and other resources, as appropriate, either internally or externally through referrals, interlibrary loans or online.
• Encourage, instruct and assist customers in the use of all forms of library technology and troubleshoot technology issues.
• Introduce customers to new and emerging information tools and technological resources.
• Keep current on all NOTLPL activities through study of promotional materials and event schedules.
• Promote library services and programs to all customers.
• Explain and enforce library policies and procedures.
• Other duties as assigned
The successful applicant will possess these qualifications:
• College diploma from an accredited program
• Minimum two years’ experience in a customer service environment
• Ability to adapt to flexible work schedules
• Excellent technology literacy skills; Demonstrated ability to use web-based tools, desktop and mobile computer applications and library technology
• Awareness of new and emerging trends in library services and programs
• Excellent teamwork, interpersonal, public relations and customer service skills, including conflict resolution
• Ability to perform detailed work in an environment where interruptions are constant
• Good oral and written communication skills in English
• Stamina for continuous travel through library, visiting all areas, manoeuvring between books stacks, furniture, tables and chairs
• Strength to push in chairs, pick up items, tidy, handle and move them between different areas
Rate of Pay: $25.65/hour
Start Date: January 2019
End Date: April 2019
Hours: Schedule will average 18 hours per week. A combination of evening, day-time and weekend shifts will apply. Be aware that schedules are subject to change as the library’s needs change. Applicant must have some flexibility to be able to work occasional on-call hours on short notice and accommodate shift changes when necessary.
Deadline: Please submit your cover letter and resume by Thursday December 6th , 2018 at 9pm to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.